Bridging the gap between seniors and youth through programs that facilitate connectivity.
Socialization – Recreation – Education – Life Skills
We aim to bridge the intergenerational gap between seniors and the youth by offering opportunities to the latter to volunteer and engage in work placements in the Seniors Connect Program, Seniors Computer Literacy Workshop, Seniors Wellness Check and other Senior Activities. Such opportunities facilitate meaningful social interactions between the young and old.
One of the biggest advantages of intergenerational programs is bringing together diverse groups and helping reduce incorrect stereotypes as the youth and senior citizens develop relationships with each other. They help create a sense of societal and personal identity while promoting tolerance.
Benefits for Seniors
Our Intergenerational program offers vast benefits to senior citizens.
- Reduces a sense of isolation for older adults and relieves depression. We know that depression and loneliness are major concerns for today’s seniors. By creating an avenue for seniors to interact with the younger generation, we help them build strong and lasting relationships.
- Energize seniors and give them a sense of purpose. Working with young people offers a host of benefits to the elderly. According to Generations Unlimited, senior citizens who regularly volunteer with children experience fewer falls, burn more calories every week, and perform better on memory tests than their counterparts.
Benefits for Youth
Intergenerational programs result in stronger and closer friendships. Studies show that these bonds lead to the following positive benefits for younger people:
- 27 percent less likely than others to start drinking
- 46 percent less likely than others to start illegal drug use
- More likely to communicate with and trust their parents
- Less likely to undergo depression
Intergenerational Activities: Bridging the gap between seniors and youth
- Indoor and Outdoor Recreational Activities
- Seniors Telling Their Stories
- Digital Divide and Literacy
- Wellness Check
Indoor and Outdoor Recreational Activities
Empowering seniors by reducing isolation and fostering a sense of community.
Provide opportunities for the youth and senior citizens to participate in local offerings together. We offer various recreational and social activities designed specifically for seniors to reduce isolation while promoting social inclusion, volunteerism, and mentorship. Our recreational activities also encourage intergenerational interactions between seniors and youth in a supportive, inclusive, and welcoming environment.
Seniors Tell Their Stories
Intergenerational programs give seniors a chance to pass on their personal wisdom and traditions. Through our intergenerational programs, we seek to facilitate active exchanges between seniors and youth to promote their social inclusion and participation. Our programs foster connections between generations to provide positive role modeling and mentorship for youth while reducing isolation and combatting ageist attitudes. We provide opportunities for intergenerational socialization and education to create healthy, age-friendly communities.
Digital Divide and Literacy
We also aim to bridge the digital divide between seniors and the youth through our intergenerational and nonprofit computer literacy programs. We provide an avenue for the youth to teach senior citizens how to use digital tools and explore the web.
Reducing senior’s social isolation through friendly check-ins
Social isolation can be detrimental to your mental and physical health, which has been especially evident during the COVID-19 pandemic. Older adults can be especially vulnerable to loneliness and social isolation and often suffer from serious health impacts and reduced quality of life.
Our Wellness Check programs provide friendly phone check-ins and casual conversations to keep seniors socially connected with youth and cared for. We seek to reduce seniors’ isolation and enhance their well being by offering companionship and emotional support.
If you’d like to join our call list, Register Here
Have any questions about the program? Connect with us!
- Seniors Computer Literacy
- Seniors Financial Literacy
- Mental Wellness
- Seniors Economic and Skills Development
- Bingo Games, Scrabble, and other games
- Music Nights
- Coffee and Chat
- Milestone Celebrations (e.g., Birthdays and Seasonal Events)
- Seniors Food/Groceries Voucher Support
- Free Seasonal Tax Clinic
- Seniors Healthy Mini-Food Bank
- Minding in the Modern World
- Mental Wellness
Youth Life Skills Development:
- Summer Job Workplace Experience
- Coop Interns Experience
- Students Interns
- Volunteer Experience
- Leadership Skills Development
- Single Parents Food/Groceries Vouchers
- Non Profit Grocery Voucher Program
- Non Profit Food Voucher Program
- Back-to-School Supplies
- Indoors and Outdoors recreational activities
- Seniors Telling their Stories
- Digital Divide and Literacy